Assist America Information - Benefit Available to UK-HMO members since 10-1-08
UK-HMO is pleased to offer Assist America to all UK-HMO members. Assist America is a powerful global emergency services program to safeguard your health when you travel more than 100 miles from home, or in another country. With a single phone call, it connects you, your spouse and dependent children to English speaking, Western-style doctors, hospitals and other vital resources. Services include:
- Medical Consultation & Referrals (Conditions evaluated by Assist America medical staff for referral to providers)
- Hospital Admission Guarantee
- Return of Mortal Remains
- Emergency Medical Evacuation
- Lost Luggage/Document Assistance
- Medical Monitoring
- Prescription Assistance
- Medical Repatriation
- Interpreter & Legal Referrals
- Emergency Messaging
- Pre-trip Information
- Compassionate Visit
- Security Services
Best of all, Assist America pays for all services it provides without charge-backs to you or your health plan, and without exclusions for pre-existing conditions, geographic risk, adventure sports, mental illness, alcohol or suicide. The Operations Center, staffed with medically-trained coordinators, is ready to help anytime, anywhere, 24/7 and can be reached by calling 800-872-1414 toll-free within the United States, or 1-609-986-1234 outside the US.
A few details to remember about this important new program:
- Please be sure to carry this your Assist America ID card with you at all times to have this information available in case of an emergency.
- Your ID card will contain the Assist America telephone number as well as the UK-HMO group number. You will need to give this group number to Assist America when you call. This allows them to identify you as a member of the UK-HMO plan.
- Assist America cannot reimburse members for the cost of services arranged by members or for claims paid by a UK-HMO member. To take advantage of these benefits, you must contact Assist America at the toll-free number above and allow them to make all of the arrangements in advance. By doing so, they will directly pay the costs, and you will see no bills for any services they arrange.
- One phone call is all it takes to activate Assist America's powerful resources.
- This program is being offered to UK-HMO members at no additional cost.
- Assist America will work with the UK-HMO Medical Management Department to notify them of any problems you are experiencing and assist in coordinating your health care needs.
Case Study: Collapsed Lung in California
During a trip to Lancaster, California, Laurence's* lung collapsed, requiring surgery and a multi-day hospital stay. His wife called Assist America's operations center, and the medical director there assessed the situation together with the treating physician and staff. Though Laurence had come through the surgery well, it was clear that in order to get home safely he would need to travel by air ambulance with strict medical follow-up and oxygen therapy. The operations center arranged for him to travel via air ambulance with full medical team and respiratory equipment to his hometown in New York. His condition deteriorated slightly during the trip, so upon landing he was taken via ground ambulance to the local hospital for continued evaluation and possible admission. The following day a medical coordinator checked in with Laurence's wife and was informed that he had been released and was recuperating comfortably at home.
*names changed for privacy
TO ACCESS ASSIST AMERICA'S WEBSITE OR PRINT A CARD
To access Assist America's website click here. In the upper right corner you will see the Member Login. To log in you will need the UK-HMO Reference Number: 01-AA-UKH-09083.
If you need an Assist America card, you can sign into Assist America's website; in the upper right corner - sign in through the member log-on (with your UK-HMO reference number 01-AA-UKH-09083; and print a card for yourself. If you do not have printing capability, send an e-mail including your name and home address to Carol Pelfrey and I will send you this information.
To contact Assist America by phone, please call 800-872-1414 (inside the USA); or 1-609-986-1234 (outside the USA)