The Department of Surgery at the University of Kentucky offers the College of Medicine faculty and staff a full range of creative and editorial services through its Publications Office.
We are skilled in a wide variety of publishing endeavors including web site development and the submission of manuscripts and abstracts. Our services are designed to allow clinician/scientists to submit their work in a timely manner. These services include:
- polishing rough drafts, including articles, chapters and grant narratives
- working with authors to edit and rewrite preliminary drafts and return a copy to the author(s) with alterations and revisions highlighted
- searching the National Library of Medicine and other resources to complete and format references
- entering revisions, copyediting for correct usage and consistency, and formatting manuscripts to a publisher’s specifications
- writing abstracts and submission letters, and mailing the required copies
- copyediting proofs of articles or chapters in press, and returning them promptly to the publisher
Editing and manuscript submission are our most important functions. However, the Publications Office also offers document scanning, slide scanning, image editing and photography. Our print production capabilities range from color laser printing to the printing
of high-definition posters. We have mastery of the following software programs: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Acrobat, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver.
The Publications Office was also responsible for Surgery Scope, the Department's quarterly newsletter, which has now been archived.