CHS Physical Therapy


Doctor of Physical Therapy

The Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) is a post baccalaureate degree conferred upon successful completion of a doctoral level professional (entry-level) or post-professional education program. The specific nomenclature "DPT" is not a substitute or alternative for the physical therapist clinical designator "PT." The entry-level professional degree offered at the University of Kentucky is the DPT.


Thank you for your interest in the Physical Therapy Program.  The application process for Fall 2015 is now open.


Why the change to DPT education?

The faculty of the University of Kentucky program has decided to make the transition from the professional (entry-level) Master of Science in Physical Therapy (MSPT) to the professional (entry-level) DPT for several reasons: 1) the DPT is an appropriate degree for the work required; 2) there is a greater scope, rigor, depth, breadth, and length of this high-quality program; 3) it is expected the program will be better positioned to successfully recruit the most qualified applicants in a highly competitive applicant marketplace; and 4) this transition is perceived to be in the best interests of tomorrow's practitioner. We see future physical therapists as practitioners with responsibility to examine and treat patients who have been either referred by a physician or self-referred. This will mean that the physical therapist must have higher level skills earlier in their careers to be able to accurately determine the problem, recognize if it is within the scope of practice of a physical therapist and refer to the appropriate practitioner if it is outside that scope.

Important Links

Admissions Requirements
Admission Statistics
Clinical Education
Tuition and Program Costs


University Scholars Form


Supplemental Application


PT Student Handbook


If you have questions or problems with the supplemental application, contact technical support at the bottom of the APPLY YOURSELF link or call Dr. Tony English at 859-218-0834.

Students who are applying as University Scholars (in your junior year, but on track to graduate by May of 2015) should link to the Univesity Scholars form, complete it and submit it to Linda Allen at or mail to Ms. Allen at:

Linda Allen

College of health Sciences

Office of Student Affairs

900 s. Limestone St., Room 111

Charles T. Wethington, Jr. Bldg.

Lexington, KY   40536-0200