PM&R Resident Research
Resident Presentations at Local and National Meetings
"Leadership Legacy: Student-Driven Change in Interprofessional and Leadership Curriculum" Thomas J, Elam C, Stratton T, Pfeifle A, Erlandson M.D., E. Descriptive presentation, Southern Group on Educational Affairs Annual Meeting, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, April 2010.
- "Swing Phase Adduction in Cerebral Palsy Diplegia: Correlation with Physical Exam" was presented at the 2010 AAPM&R National Meeting in Seattle, WA, Curtis Gale-Dyer, D.O, Hank White, PT, PhD, Henry Iwinski, M.D. Shriners Children's Hospital,University of Kentucky Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- "Institutional engagement: Support of Medical Student Initiatives to Enhance the Medical School Environment" Elam, C.L, Erlandson M.D., E., Reed, J., Ebong, I, Salmon, T, Thomas, J.Descriptive presentation, Generalists in Medical Education Annual Conference, Denver, Colorado, November, 2011.
- "Gait Changes in Patients Diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy (GMFCS Level 3), Status Post Selective Dorsal Rhizotmy- A Retrospective Study" Pravardhan Birthi, MD, Hank White, PT, PhD, Robert Nickerson, MD, Henry Iwanski, MD, presented at the 2011 AAPM&R Meeting in Orlando, Florida November 17, 2011
- "Modulating pain in CRPS with transcranial direct current stimulation" Giridhar Gundu, M.D. Sawaki, Lumy Ph.D. University of Kentucky was presented at the IRB meeting March 7, 2012.
- "Leadership Legacy: A Student Directed Leadership Development Program" Erlandson M.D., E., Reed, J., Elam, C. Poster presentation, Southern Group for Educational Affairs Annual Conference; April, 2012.
- "Creating a Longitudinal Interprofessional Curriculum: Utilizing Krathwohl’s Taxonomy" Andrea Pfeifle, EdD, PT, Erika Erlandson, MD, James Norton, PhD, Patricia Burkhart, PhD, Penni Black, PhD, Jim Ballard, MS.. Small group oral presentation and discussion, Southern Group for Educational Affairs Annual Conference; April 20, 2012.
- "Neuroplasticity and Gait Recovery with Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation in Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury" Korupolu, Radha M.D., Lee, Kara PT, DPT., Chelette, Kenneth MS, Sawaki, Lumy M.D., Ph.D., presented at the ASCIP, Las Vegas, NV 2012
“Identification of Sural Nociceptive Flexion Reflex Ratio” Ngo, Thien M.D., Ortiz, Oscar M.D., presented at the 2013 AAP national meeting, New Orleans, LA
- "Knee Hyperextension After Hamstring Lengthening in Cerebral Palsy: Incidence, Predictive Factors and Cost in Gait Efficiency" Angulo Parker, Francisco M.D., University of Kentucky, presented at the 25th Annual Research Day 2013
Resident Journal Publications
- Pravardhan Birthi, M.D, Chadwick Walters, D.O, Ninad Karandikar, M.D. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation "A Rare Case of Tardive Dyskinesia and Akathisia Induced by Citalopram: Case Presentation," is published in the AAPM&R Journal of Injury, Function and Rehabilitation October 2010, Volume 2, Issue 10, pg 973-975
- Schoenberg NE, Bardach SH, Manchikanti KN, Goodenow AC. "Appalachian resident' experiences with and management of multiple morbidity." Qual Health Res. 2011. May;21(5):601-11
- Pravardhan Birthi, M.D, Chadwick Walters, D.O, Ninad Karandikar, M.D, Oscar Ortiz M.D. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation "The use of Intrathecal Baclofen Therapy (ITB) for myoclonus in a patient with Lance Adams syndrome: A case report,"AAPM&R Journal of Injury, Function and Rehabilitation 2011 July; 3 (7): 671-673
- Manchikanti L, Buenaventura RM, Manchikanti MN, Ruan X, Gupta S, Smith HS, Christo PJ, Ward SP. "Effectiveness of therapeutic lumbar transforaminal epidural steroid injections in managing lumbar spinal pain." Pain Physician. 2012. May-June; 15(3):E199-245
- Dwan Perry, D.O., Pravardhan Birthi, M.D., Sara Salles. D.O., Susan McDowell, M.D.Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation "Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome Associated with the use of Carbidopa/Levodopa for Dystonia in Cerebral Palsy: A Case Report PM&R" PMR Journal 2012 May; 4 (5): 383-384
- Manchikanti, KN, Atluri S, Singh V, Geffert S, Sehgai N, Falco FJ. "An update of evaluation of therapeutic thoracic facet joint interventions." Pain Physician. 2012 Jul-Aug; 15(4):E463-8
- Schneider, B., Birthi M.D., P., and Salles D.O, S. “Acute tetra paresis secondary to Chiari malformation with syringomyelia. A case report”. accepted and awaits publication in Spinal cord Journal .
- Birthi M.D., P., Sloan, P., Salles, S . “Subcutaneous Botulinum Toxin A for the Treatment of Refractory Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: A case report,” accepted and awaits publication in PM&R Journal of Injury, Function and Rehabilitation