Jia Luo, Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine,
Division of Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation
University of Kentucky
124C Combs Research Building
800 Rose Street
Lexington, KY 40536
• Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology, Oncology and
Bone Marrow Transplantation
• Graduate Center for Nutritional Sciences
• B.S., China University of Oceanography, Qingdao, China, Biology
• Ph.D., Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Iowa
• NIMH Postdoctoral Fellow, Neurobiology, Department of Psychiatry
• Postdoctoral Fellow, NIMH Genetic Psychiatry
Specific Interest in Nutrition:
Alcoholism, alcohol abuse, and the medical complications of excessive drinking are major world-wide health problems. Chronic alcohol exposure affects nutrient uptake. I am interested in appropriate nutritional supplement in preventing/ameliorating damages caused by alcohol abuse.
Alcohol exposure during development results in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD) and induces profound damages to the central nervous system. I am interested in elucidating cellular/molecular mechanisms underlying ethanol-induced neuronal death, impaired cell cycle kinetics and disrupted cell migration in the developing brain. Alcohol is also a tumor promoter. Epidemiological studies indicate that alcohol consumption is associated with advanced and invasive breast tumors. I am interested in elucidating cellular/molecular mechanisms underlying ethanol-induced tumor promotion, particularly the metastasis of breast cancer cells.