Maria Cecilia de Beer, Ph.D.
527 CT Wethington Building
900 South Limestone
Lexington, KY 40536-0200
Tel: (859)-323-4933 ext 81407
• Department of Physiology
Publication Listings in PubMed
• Graduate Center for Nutritional Sciences
• B.S., Dietetics, University of Pretoria, South Africa, 1968
• B.S., Hon., Dietetics, University of Pretoria, South Africa, 1969
• B.S., Hon., Medical Biochemistry (cum laude), University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
• M.S., Medical Biochemistry (cum laude), University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
• Ph.D., Medical Biochemistry(cum laude), University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
• American Heart Association: Fellow of the American Heart Association
• American Stroke Association: Fellow of the American Stroke Association
Area of research focuses on HDL metabolism and how HDL impacts the development of atherosclerosis. Specific interests are how HDL size and apoprotein composition influences its interaction with the HDL receptor SR-BI and other scavenger receptors, as well as how inflammation affects HDL composition and metabolism. Studies are performed in cell culture systems or animal models. Adenoviral vectors are often used to express genes of interest in cultured cells or mouse models.