College of Health Sciences
Medical Laboratory Science
The MLT to MLS track (bridge) is an online program only available to those who have an associate degree from a medical laboratory technician (MLT) program.
Students must satisfy the University of Kentucky general education core courses and the MLS program pre-requisite courses before beginning the MLT to MLS track. These core courses and program pre-requisite courses can be taken at a local higher educational institution and transferred into UK. For advisement on what courses you need or what courses are acceptable, consult our academic advisor Corrie Scott at email@example.com. The following courses are MLS program pre-requisite courses for the MLT to MLS track:
The program strongly encourages students to follow the full-time student curriculum (16 months) as laid out below however a part-time option (28 months) with set curriculum is available.
Year 1 - Fall
Year 1 -Spring
Year 1 –Summer I
Year 1 –Summer II
Year 2 - Fall
1. Students must achieve an overall (cumulative) GPA of 2.5 and successfully pass all program pre-requisite courses
2. An associate degree from a MLT program
3. Certification (BOC preferred) or documentation of 5 years of work experience in a MLT position within a multidisciplinary laboratory
4. Current employment in a clinical laboratory – prefer laboratory that offers testing in all major disciplines.
Application Process - DEADLINE TO APPLY IS MAY 15
1. Complete College of Health Sciences and MLT TO MLS online application. (This is a two-part application.) Access the application at http://www.mc.uky.edu/mls/admissions.html
2. Apply to UK if you are not a UK student. (Web link on application)
3. Provide three recommendation forms. Your current direct supervisor MUST complete a recommendation form. The other two forms should be completed by professionals (additional laboratory administrator, pathologist, co-worker external to the laboratory, educator) who are familiar with your abilities. (You can access these forms from the online application.)
4. Provide official transcripts from ALL colleges you have attended. The transcripts must have an official seal.
5. Mail recommendation forms and transcripts to:
Office of Student Affairs
University of Kentucky
College of Health Sciences
UK Wethington Bldg., Rm. 111
900 South Limestone Street
Lexington, KY 40536-0200
6. Documents that must be uploaded with application include:
a. Please submit your resume/curriculum vitae. Your resume or curriculum vitae should include the following:
i. Objective statement that addresses your interest in completing advanced degree and states your career goals
ii. Include all higher education institutions attended and dates of graduation (completion)
iii. Include all employment history within medical laboratory science field. Need start/end dates, role/position and description of duties
iv. Include current place of employment and laboratory areas routinely assigned in
v. Include phlebotomy experience
vi. Indicate certifications.
b. Submit proof of MLT/CLT program completion. This may include:
i. Documentation of MLT/CLT certification
ii. Letter from MLT/CLT program director
iii. Copy of degree.
DEADLINE TO APPLY IS MAY 15.
Contact us today:
Medical Laboratory Science Program College of Health Sciences
Quick Info Sheet
Need a brief summary of the Medical Laboratory Science Program? Click here to view or print the Program Information Sheet (PDF).