Dennis G. Karounos, MD
Doctoral Studies: University of Kentucky.
Postdoctoral: Duke University Medical Center.
Research is focused on developing new therapies for the prevention of type 1 diabetes by performing clinically relevant,
mechanistically-based preclinical research.
- Utilizing animal models of type 1 diabetes, preclinical studies in our laboratory have relevance to the
fields of immunology, endocrinology, physiology and nutrition
- Our studies are unique since we perform reverse-translational studies to develop immune therapies of
- Our group participates in state-of-the-art multicenter international clinical trials for the prevention
or reversal of type 1 diabetes.
- Our preclinical studies, utilizing animal models of diabetes, focus on the use of inactive insulin analogs to prevent diabetes. Our studies are designed to overcome hurdles that we encounter in ongoing clinical trials.
- We evaluate mechanistic assays to monitor response to antigen-specific therapy of autoimmune
Selected Recent Publications:
Duckworth, W., Abraira, C., Moritz, T., Reda, D., Emanuele, N., Reaven, P.D., Zieve, F.J., Marks, J., Davis, S.N., Hayward, R., et al. for the Veterans Affair Diabetes Trial (VADT) Study Group, Karounos, D. G. (VADT Group
member) 2009. Glucose Control and Vascular Complications in Veterans with Type 2 Diabetes. N Engl J
Med:360(2):129-39 PubMed ID: 19092145.
Diabetes Prevention Trial-Type 1 Study Group (Karounos, D.G. Study Group Member) (2005) Effect of Oral Insulin in Relatives of Patients with Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 28(5) 1068-1076.
Sabire Ozcan, Qingwen Qian, Ph.D.; John P. Williams, Ph.D.; Dennis G. Karounos, M.D.;(2005) Nitric Oxide Stimulates Insulin Release in Liver Cells Expressing Human Insulin. Biochemical Biophysical Research Communications. 329 (4):1329-1333.
Karounos, D.G., Bryson, J.S., Cohen, D.A. (1997) Metabolically inactive insulin analog prevents type I diabetes in prediabetic NOD mice. J. Clinical Investigation , 100 (6):1344-1348, PubMed ID: 9294099. PDF
Karounos, D.G., J.S. Wolinsky and J.W. Thomas, (1993) Monoclonal antibody to rubella capsid recognizes a beta cell antigen. J. Immunol. 150:3080-3085 PMID: 8454875 PDF