Welcome from the Chief of Periodontology
Mohanad Al-Sabbagh, DDS, MS
On behalf of the faculty, staff, and students of the Division of Periodontology, I welcome you to our home page. Our Division of Periodontology has long enjoyed a national and international reputation for innovativeness and student friendliness.
Periodontology is one of American Dental Association (ADA) recognized specialty of dentistry. It encompasses the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the supporting and surrounding tissues of the teeth or their substitutes and the maintenance of the health, function, comfort, and esthetics of these structures and tissues.
The mission of the Division of Periodontology at the University of Kentucky is to excel in tripartite area of teaching, research, and service and to improve the health care in Commonwealth of Kentucky and beyond. Our team of faculty and staff bring a wealth of knowledge and leadership to carry forward the mission of our Division to achieve our goals of:
• Produce dentists that are knowledgeable in the art and science of Periodontology.
• Produce periodontal specialists who are biologically oriented, technically competent, and socially sensitive and are capable of practicing periodontology at a high level and contributing to the specialty through teaching, research, and service.
• Culminate periodontal faculty who become recognized nationally and internationally through advancing the knowledge in Periodontology via research, scholarly activity and service.
• Enhance diversity to increase respect for and tolerance of cultural differences and diversity of opinion through exposure to the international periodontal and implant communities.
• Promote internationalization through international visibility and reputation of the Division of Periodontology and the College of Dentistry.
Our values are based on
• Ethics and integrity in all circumstances
• Evidence based training
• Commitment to life-long learning
• Proficiency in clinical treatment of patients
• Respect for diversity towards all patients, staff, students, and peers
We have a well reputable and established Graduate Periodontology Program. The program has a rich heritage. The program was one of the most progressive and innovative in the country in the 1960’s and was one of the first to offer formal coursework in implantology in the mid-1980’s. The collegial atmosphere of the program encourages close contact with the faculty. We feel that an open line of communication and regular meeting with students outside of the classroom and clinic setting is imperative. Our teaching philosophy helps prepare students to become versatile and ethical professionals who will strive for excellence.
Our division has faculty composed of clinician teachers, clinical and basic science researchers. They embrace the opportunity to assist others in reaching the highest level of quality and excellence in patient care. Research enriches our faculty teaching philosophy of evidence based medicine. They embrace the need to contribute to our profession through scholarly activity and research. If you have an interest in dental research, you find interested and supportive faculty.
Our educational philosophy recognizes the importance of individual differences and leads to a desire for knowledge and constructive values. It also encourages both faculty and students to compare and integrate the methodologies and evidence they acquire in different disciplinary settings as they search for answers to similar questions. We embrace an unyielding belief in the virtue of diversity as well as the fair and equitable treatment of students, faculty, staff, and patients.
I invite you to visit our Division of Periodontology at the University of Kentucky and talk to our students, staff, and faculty. You will find a place of collegiality, innovativeness, and warmness.