Dental Health Education Program—Statewide
• The College of Dentistry, as part of its Public Service Program, assists Kentucky school personnel in efforts to promote dental education.
• The College of Dentistry has worked with the Kentucky Dental Health Coalition, the Kentucky State Department for Public Health and the University of Louisville to produce the Kentucky Smile Curriculum, a dental health education guide for Kentucky's teachers. This health education guide that includes age and grade-specific classroom dental activities and exercises has been distributed to all public schools and Family Resource Centers in Kentucky. In 1998-99, the Kentucky Smile Curriculum was evaluated and updated.
• The Public Service Program also maintains a dental health education library. This library has been developed as a cooperative activity with the Blue Grass Dental Society, the Blue Grass Dental Hygienists Association and the Blue Grass Dental Assistants Association. Oral health pamphlets, videos and teaching aids are routinely made available to dental and non-dental persons (e.g., nurses and teachers) who are speaking on dental health to a class, a school or other community group.
• In 1998-99, the Dental Public Service Program expanded its dental health education support activities. This was done in conjunction with the Dental Health Program in the Kentucky Department for Public Health by developing a dental speakers network and packaged educational presentations related to several dental health topics. As a part of these activities, dental health education resources were developed at the county level to facilitate access to educational resources.
• Surveillance and Surveys/ Kids Smile