There are two ways to be admitted into the PhD program: direct admission or through the IBS Program.
Direct Admission Requirements
Applicants must meet the following requirements for admission to the University of Kentucky Graduate School and the Graduate Center for Nutritional Sciences:
- A baccalaureate degree from a fully accredited institution of higher
- An M.S. degree with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2 or above on a 4.0 scale, or a B.S.
degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- An average Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score on the verbal, quantitative and analytical sections that is greater than the 50th percentile.
- For international applicants, a minimum score of 550 out 667 maximum
possible is required on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL),
a minimum 213 score on the computer-based TOEFL (maximum 300),
or 79 on the internet-based TOFEL. The minimum
International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) score
is 6.5. All applicants must demonstrate proficiency in verbal and
All those interested in graduate study at the University of Kentucky
Graduate School must apply online via Hobson's
ApplyYourself Application Network. There is a $65 application fee for
domestic applicants and a $75 application fee for international applicants.
Please note that the application cannot be submitted without paying this
The following information must be submitted online to the Graduate School via
- Transcripts from all higher education institutions
attended. The Graduate School requires an overall undergraduate grade
point average of 2.75 and 3.00 on all graduate work.
scores are required for admission. GRE scores should be sent directly
from Educational Testing Service (ETS); the Institutional Code for the
GRE for the UK Graduate School is R1837.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for all
applications whose native language is not English.
- TOEFL scores should be sent directly from ETS; the Institutional
Code for the TOEFL for the UK Graduate Schoool is R1837.
scores should be sent directly from the IELTS, specifying the
University of Kentucky Graduate School, Lexington, KY as the
- Curriculum vitae
- A brief essay, no longer than two single-spaced pages, describing
long-term career goals and how the Ph.D. Program in Nutritional Sciences
would advance these goals.
- Three letters of recommendation
Research Assistant Application Form.
Research Assistantships and Laboratory Rotations:
- Ph.D. are required to apply for a Research Assistantship,
which represents an integral part of the Ph.D. program. Applicants accepted into the Ph.D. program also may apply to participate in a
Laboratory Rotation Program. This program enables students to work four to six
months in as many as three laboratories before selecting an advisor.
- March 15 for Fall admission
- October 1 for Spring admission
For further information, contact the
Director of Graduate Studies
- February 15 for Fall admission
- August 1 for Spring admission