Message from the Dean
This is an exciting time at UKCD! There is always something going on to move education, service, research, and patient care forward. We are busy getting three new off-campus affiliated clinical sites up and running. A new teaching site in Nicholas County will pilot a large-scale school-based care program for children there. In Marshall County, a new service clinic, in partnership with the Marshall County Health Department, will improve dental care access for hundreds of children, and here in Lexington, we are preparing to open a new state-of-the-art faculty practice area on Harrodsburg Road.
Other exciting happenings at UKCD:
- We are celebrating 25 years of mobile dental outreach throughout Kentucky—taking dental care to the doors of those who need it most in schools and Head Start Centers.
- Students and faculty are learning to use new, state-of-the-art electric handpiece systems thanks to a generous gift from Bien Air.
- An exchange program between UKCD and Universidad de los Andes Dental School in Santiago, Chile has started. Two UDLA students have completed their visit to Kentucky, and the first group of UKCD students will be traveling to UDLA this fall.
- Curriculum updates allowing our fourth-year students the benefit of more clinical time have been made. Upcoming changes under consideration utilize a systems-based approach to teach basic science, making the concepts covered more applicable in real-world situations.
- Summer externships and clinical services have undergone changes, providing more flexibility for our students.
Founded in 1962, UKCD’s innovative curriculum and intimate class size allows students a much earlier opportunity to provide patient care, form close mentoring relationships with our highly accomplished and diverse faculty, and be fully prepared by graduation to meet the oral health, and overall health, needs of their patients.
Our graduates have a reputation as excellent clinical dentists who genuinely care about their patients and their communities. That is because UKCD itself is committed to being not only a leader in dental education, but also serving the local community and instilling a strong commitment to service in our students.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in dentistry or working in the field of dental education, I encourage you to learn more about UKCD. Come see for yourself what a truly special place this is, and talk to our students, faculty, staff, and patients. I believe you won’t find a group of people more dedicated to teaching, learning, and serving in and far beyond Kentucky.
Sharon P. Turner, DDS, JD