This course will consist of two sections. All participants will attend, Friday, October 11 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Registration begins at 7:30 a.m.) Participants will then be assigned one session to attend on Saturday, October 12.
This course will met all the requirements of the Kentucky Board of Dentistry for Laser Use by Dental Hygienists Standard Proficiency Level. Day 2 is a hands-on laser usage lab. Diode lasers will be available for practice or participants may bring lasers from their office.
Laser is changing the way traditional Dental Hygiene is viewed and practiced. Today’s knowledge of periodontal disease is not based on a direct succession of events, but rather a synthesis of theories and discoveries. Developments in our understanding of the complex and interwoven roles of bacteria, the immune systems, and the processes of inflammation at the molecular and cellular levels have led to new concepts that lead to the need for improved therapeutics and management of periodontal infection.
The program will explore the value and benefit of Hygiene Laser assisted therapy that maximizes clinical end-point and the healing effect of the Laser at the biologic and molecular level of repair and regeneration. You will learn how laser debridement meets the demands in treating both Biofilm infection and the host-immuno-inflammatory side of the periodontal infections through th absorption of light energy. Join in as we take this journey of scientific discovery that will shift your skills to another level of dependable and predictable healing through technologically advanced levels of patient care. Learn the specifics of laser fiber optic delivery and the nature of using a laser device through this hands-on clinical simulation program.
- Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to do the following:
- Understand the science of laser wavelengths and their absorption characteristics.
- Discuss the key elements of laser safety.
- Explain how the Diode element functions and produces the unique characteristics of laser energy.
- Identify how Diode laser energy interacts at all levels of the periodontal infections and why.
- Interpret laser tissue interaction with its correlation to power settings and the techniques used to obtain optimum clinical results.
- Discuss the healing effect of the Diode Laser.
- Explore new treatment designs for periodontal therapy that meet patient expectations of health and wellness.
- Recognize the numerous soft tissue procedures performed by lasers.