This course is designed for dental assistants who would like advanced training in restorative dentistry and will include those duties which may be performed under the supervision of a dentist. The course will provide pre-clinical proficiency in restorative procedures and will include placement and finishing of amalgam and composite restorations to clinical competency. The course consists of both didactic and practical components presented in weekend sessions.
The didactic and practical components will be verified by faculty and staff demonstrations and evaluation of participants during the program.
Participants who successfully complete the examination and required course requirements will receive documentation of completion.
Upon completion of this course, participants should have an understanding of:
- Various restorative dental materials, including bases, liners, composites, flowable composites and amalgam
- Selection and placement of rubber dam clamps
- Efficient rubber dam placement
- Selection and placement of matrices
- Selection and placement of wedges
- Placement of bases and liners
- Placement of anterior and posterior composite restorations
- Placement of amalgam restorations
- Finishing and polishing techniques for both composite and amalgam restorations
- Placement of temporary filling materials
- Technique of insertion, carving, finishing and polishing of Class I, II and V amalgams
- Technique of insertion and finishing of Class II and V composite resins